Search This Blog

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Great Expectations

Two hours to claim one piece of baggage!

That is the amount of time it took me to retrieve my baggage at the international airport in Mumbai recently after a 9 hour flight. While there has been an effort to develop our airports by the Airports Authority of India and its private contractors, a lot still needs to be done in terms of services at these airports. There is no signage anywhere. Most of the times, utter chaos prevails. Compare this to Heathrow, Schipol or a Changi and you should know the difference.
The weather in London was really depressing, dull and dark (and wet, for good measure). However the visit was very productive. And I got to travel once more on my favourite public transport system, The Underground! The tube has changed, the traffic seems to be more, but it is nowhere near the Mumbai local train rush. The only regret, apart from the bad weather in London was not being able to meet up with some of my acquaintances in London due to the busy schedule.
Back home, got Suryanksh admitted to school (Jr.KG). The fees is probably equal to the entire spend on my graduation and post-graduation studies! And guess, what I might lose it all if I decide to enroll him into another school! The education sector makes great business sense to me, actually!
Next in line was my continued hunt for a car. After extensive research I did do a couple of test drives this weekend and have FINALLY booked a car! I just hope that it gets to me before Christmas begins.....
Speaking of Christmas, the New Year is not too far either and so is...resolutions-making time! Have been thinking about that lately and hence my next blog might just be all about my resolutions, which would, of course, last for a couple of days!
Till then...
P.S: By now, it should be amply clear, that the title of this blog has nothing to do with one Mr. Charles Dickens!

2 comments:

Horizon said...

Truly echo your sentiments.I just returned and the difference of handling things and how our airports are organized and how stuff outside is organized.The best mockery in my whole trip was the swine flu test.It was truly unbelievable that it only took me 30 secs to get through the test and that too based on what i had declared in the paper.Lots and lots need to be done.Infrastructure is going to be key .I was reading in one of the leading international news paper just a couple of days ago on how big the need for Infrastructure in India is.The swine flu test i was just shaking my head on the test!!!! dont know whether to laugh or cry!!!!

Suresh Iyer said...

Agree. Infrastructure can be built. However, I think the difference is really the change in mindset of people and organisations who run the infrastructure. There is no realisation of the fact that they offer a service to the users of the airports, which is key.