Search This Blog

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 89 - Incredible India!

Yes, Incredible India!  That is the thought that comes to my mind again and again, since the last couple of days.  The trigger being my visit to Goa this week for an offsite.

Though the visit itself was very hurried and hectic (spanning a day and a half), while travelling from the Goa airport to the hotel located in South Goa, near Palolem, and back, I was amazed at how rich and more importantly, how different the landscape was. 

The point is, India is such a big and diverse country, with so much to offer.  It is said that the dialect changes every 500 metres in India. Not sure if this is an exaggeration, but it goes to show how different a different part of India might look like to someone who has lived mostly confined to his surroundings.  While on my way to and from the hotel, I could see a Goanese influence on so many things.  The style of architecture, the colours that locals use to paint their houses: vibrant and typical of Goa, the bill-boards, the dressing styles, everything had a distinct Goanese influence on it.

After this experience, I have promised myself that I will try to explore more of the richness and diversity of India's culture, geography and demography, going forwards.  It is a shame that I haven't yet seen the Taj Mahal!  In the next few years, as the children start growing up, I am going to explore India along with the family.  It is an incredible country and there is so much to experience as a proud citizen of this country. Incredible India, here I come!

By the way, the trip itself was fruitful, but quite tiring.  Was at work till 11.30 in the night and then had to catch the 6.00 AM flight.  Friday evening was good.  Once the working sessions were over, the drinking and singing sessions started.  Everyone had a fun time, with me finally retiring at 3.30 AM in the morning.  No prizes for guessing that I gave the yatch ride and the jet ski a miss the next morning.  This was my second visit to Goa.  The first time being for Zulu and Ryan's wedding four years ago, when me and Pince were there with Suryanksh, who was not yet born!

Take care.

4 comments:

Venkysdiary said...

True.. lot to be explored in India itself..

Venkat

Suresh Iyer said...

I sometimes regret the fact that I was in Chennai for almost 6 years but I did not see as much of South India as I would have liked to. In fact, except for Pondicherry, I did not see anything at all. Maybe some day I will...

Unknown said...

Eh maybe I am a bit too late catching up on your blogs. But I would say definitely start touring India in a couple of years. Your kids specially Priyansh will understand things a little by then. I took Kirti to Goa couple of yrs back with my parents during the rainy season and it was bliss. Goa was empty hardly any tourists we had the most relaxing vacation I would say. Last yr. was Delhi and Taj Mahal. It was amazing to hear her reaction when she saw it. Even my trips to Kerala havent been futile in any way. She knows where we come from, what we eat, who are our relatives.

Suresh Iyer said...

I agree. I am just waiting for the kids to grow up a bit. Once both are above 5 years of age I intend to then start travelling more often to all parts of this wonderful country.