Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 301-2011 : Life is like that...

It has been a while since I posted something on this blog.  A month and three days to be precise...

A lot has happened in these 33 days.  When I published my last post, I was looking forward to celebrating my 37th birthday, which was 5 days hence.  I had already decided that the happenings of the day would make a good copy for my next post.  However, life has this peculiar knack of deciding its own course and things do not necessarily pan out like one intends them to. 

In the last one month, so many things have happened.  The economic crisis in Europe has only worsened while Sarkozy now has a daughter from Bruni. Sonia Gandhi is back in the thick of politics after her surgery, probably accelerated even more by the dismal performance of her party in the recent by-elections.  The silken voice of Jagjit Singh has been silenced by fate, sparking a brisk sale of his albums across music stores in the country.  The designing genius of Steve Jobs is no more, just a few days before I am about to own an Apple product for the first time in my life.  The eccentricity of Gaddafi's character has been lost to the global policing of the Americans.  Mumbai Indians have won the Champions League, without anyone from Mumbai actually playing in the eleven, India have paid back England in the ODI series in India and the festive spirit has set in and is in full flow since Navratri and Dussera, followed up by Diwali a couple of days ago.  Also in the meantime, I have subjected myself to the Annual Health Check, prompting me to be at the gym more often and a cricket team has been formed with work colleagues.  I have also been able to visit a couple of friends' places, fulfilling longstanding promises, have picked up a book to read after a break of a couple of months, finished reading it within a week and bought a few more.  But perhaps the most profound happening in these last few days has been my visit to a crematorium for the first time in my life! 


dance
as though no one is watching you,

love
as though you have never been hurt before,

sing
as though no one can hear you,

live
as though heaven is on earth.

- souza 

It is not that I haven't had the time to file a post since the last one; I have just not been able to write.  Call it a 'writer's block' or something else, I just haven't been able to write, in spite of some of the regular readers of this blog prodding me for the next post.  Someone mentioned that it is probably due to a philosophical concept called Smashana Vairagya, which, when it hits you, reveals the impermanence and insignificance of life very clearly!  Probably.  I did realise that day, on the eve of my own birthday, when the body was being cremated, that there will not be another opportunity to say goodbye.  Strangely, it took some time for that feeling to sink in.  I have been told that one gets over the feeling once he gets out of the crematorium and gets going with the duties of this material life.  I however think that, maybe it might be useful to carry little bit of that realisation to our day-to-day lives.  Nothing is permanent in its physical form and nothing is too significant ultimately. 

We might then probably take life a little less seriously.  We might then live life to its fullest!

Take care.

2 comments:

What a life! said...

True, so true. We are mere mortals. And all we have is one short life, to live. Really live. Re-assessing one's priorities once in a while, is indeed something I believe we should engage in, on an annual basis at least :)

Anish
Have you seen...?

Suresh Iyer said...

Anish,

Thanks for the comment. Read your post on the painful experience while dealing with IRCTC. Thankfully I haven't experienced such incidents / treatment from IRCTC.

Goes to show that in huge organisations such as this, especially government run ones, all that which processes itself 'straight through' is generally quite efficient. It is the exception-processing that baffles the minds of men and machines of these organisations and things go haywire!

Cheers!
Suresh