Search This Blog

Sunday, October 20, 2013

I Am Back...With An Appeal!

It is one of those things which we think will never happen to us....or to our near and dear ones.  

In the beginning of 2012, that myth for me was broken.  My father was diagnosed with small-cell lung carcinoma.  After the initial despondency, the family rallied around and did all that was required to fight it.  After intensive treatment over the next 6 months, all traces of the cancer were destroyed.

But, the treatment of this disease takes its toll.  It takes a toll on the quality of life that one leads.  It slows the body down and has innumerable side-effects, including short term memory loss and impacting other sensory functions such as hearing.

During the course of my father's treatment, I visited the Oncology departments of innumerable hospitals.  To my utter shock and bewilderment, each of these places was choc-a-bloc with patients, of all ages and across all social strata.  I had never imagined that the disease was so widely prevalent.  Speaking to doctors and health-care workers, it became evident that it is a disease which has been afflicting more and more people over the last few years.  This is putting a severe strain on the infrastructure that exists today to treat it.

I have also in the last couple of years spent some time with various NGOs working with the Tata Memorial Hospital, the premier cancer cure hospital in the country, who are active in helping the patients cope with the disease.



The Indian Cancer Society is one of the oldest NGOs working on cancer care in India.  Its activities are focused on creating an awareness about the disease, enabling early detection and helping with the rehabilitation of survivors. Having personally seen the impact of this disease on the patients', as well as their near and dear ones' lives, I have decided to do my bit to contribute to the cause.

I will be running the half marathon at the Standard Chartered Mumbai Marathon 2014, on January 19, 2014, to raise money to support the activities of the Indian Cancer Society.

I appeal to you to join me in my endeavor by donating to this worthy cause. Your donation truly means so much to me and the Indian Cancer Society. Anything that you can manage would be absolutely amazing. Every single rupee donated is very much appreciated. You can make your donations at: 


Please dig deep and donate generously.  

Take care & stay healthy!

No comments: