Search This Blog

Saturday, February 6, 2010

Day 37 - I Quit...You Can Too!

As I had forseen in my last blog, this week was extremely busy, culminating in drinks & dinner last night at ITC Grand Maratha.  Yes, Peshawari again!

But this week, I am going to write about something which I am really proud of.  After 17 years, I have finally kicked the butt, for good!  I can proclaim this so confidently because it is now 37 days since I lit up.

I am proud of this because it takes courage to put down that last cigarette and quit smoking.  Believe me, it does.  I have tried this before...many times, but haven't been successful.  I think, the reason I have been successful (so far, atleast!) this time is that I have adopted a different approach.  I have basically challenged myself and my willpower to be able to do this.  After all, I smoked my first cigarette when somebody challenged me to smoke one.  Peer pressure is a huge reason for a lot of people to start smoking.

So, what is the impact, after I have quit?  Nothing much, actually.  True, at times, I am a bit edgy and have tended to blow my fuse a little earlier than usual.  But apart from that, it has been very good so far.  On thing is for sure, my appetite has really opened up.  I feel that my ability to smell and taste has improved.  So, over the next few weeks and months, please expect me to put on some weight!  But I have been able to control the urge to binge by drinking lots of warm water.  Also, will need to go to the gym regularly to ensure that I do not gain too much weight due to this. 

Years of smoking had taught me to react literally to everything by lighting a cigarette.  When I was happy, I would celebrate by lighting up.  When I got angry, smoking would calm me down, or so I thought.  Tired?  Smoke a cigarette to stay awake.  Hungry?  Feed myself a smoke.  This list goes on.  Nicotine makes you a slave and chains you to the habit with links of steel.  Breaking these chains is not easy.  And I think, the key is to have the determination to do so.  And a very good reason to quit.

My reason is:  I owe it to my family.

I have heard people say, quitting tobacco is a process.  It doesn't happen overnight, but in my case it has not been like that.  I decided to quit on New Year's eve.  Smoked my last cigarette on the 31st of December and then quit.  I am determined to keep it that way.  And I have a great reason for it.

I quit.  You can too.  Take care.

5 comments:

Balakrishna Shenoy said...

Super Suresh. Way to go. I am glad you started it and kept on. Good luck.

Suresh Iyer said...

Thanks Bala.

Horizon said...

Way to go suresh . Am very happy. Really happy.Yes it does take courage to come off a habit which has been with you for 17 years and again goes to prove that nothing is impossible.

Anonymous said...

Superb Suresh...

Regards,
Raja.

Suresh Iyer said...

Navin / Raja,

Thanks for your support.

Cheers!
Suresh