Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 175 - Hibernating In The Rains

As you know, last week, or most part of it was spent in travel to and from Bengaluru, the marriage ceremony and spending time with family and lots and lots of relatives.

This week is the second week of my holidays and I am in hibernation mode.  However, even in this mode I realised there was a lot happening. 

First of all, I do have to work through a long list of 'to-do's accumulated over the last couple of months.  These included varied things like getting my SIPs updated, repairing the childrens' bicycle, reparing the phones, immersing a couple of paper mash sculptures, etc.  The good news is that I am almost done with these.

Next up was the World Cup football.  Having missed the first round of matches due to all the travelling last week, I decided that I will watch all the matches live till I am on holiday.  I have been partially successful but have witnessed some interesting encounters as well.  The match between Brazil and Ivory Coast was a very bad advertisement for the sport.

On the health front, Priya and I decided to have another go at the GM diet.  Priya was done on the first day.  I am still holding the fort.  Hence, it is a bit of a torture being on holiday and not being able to eat whatever I fancy.  It is even worse when you get the opportunity to meet up with friends and go out for dinner, which is what is being planned in the next couple of days.  I think it will be painful to watch everybody at the table having a go at schezwan rice, with me limited to nibbling salads.  We will see.  I have however, restarted going to the gym seriously.

The other thing which I wanted to do during these two week holidays and have failed to do so horribly is to pick up my reading habit again.  There is a huge pile of  half-read books on my writing table, which I intended to tackle.  However, I have not been successful at it.  Either these books are very boring or my attention span is decreasing by the day.  Dangerous trend.  By the way, I started reading a new book - 'Blackberry - The Inside Story of Research In Motion'.  So far, so good.  I also plan to see a film - Rajneeti tomorrow.  Hope it lives up to the reviews I have read about the film.

The bright spot of this holiday though was Suryanksh's first day to school and the rains.  He has started going to the Bombay Scottish School (Junior KG).  Have been picking him up everyday from school.  The other bright spot was of course the onset of the rains.  It has been cloudy for most parts of the last couple of days and it has been raining heavily sporadically.  The sights and sounds of Mumbai are completely different when it rains.

So, the only evidence of my hibernation are the afternoon naps that I took on a couple of days.  However, inspite of all this activity, there is a sense of restlessness in me.  It always happens when I am on a long leave.  It is like I am being deprived of my daily dosage of some strong addiction.  I suspect, that addiction is of work. 

Yes, am sick of browsing the mails on the Blackberry and am itching to come back to work.

Take care.

2 comments:

Horizon said...

First of all, you seem to have picked pace with blogging.

Your blog was good read.I never knew your reading habit slowed down, go go go suresh, that shouldn't. As per world cup am looking forward for Germany Vs England, cracker of a contest ahead.
Hope you dont miss that.

Dieting, i know you are strong willed but why dieting when you are also exercising, which i assume you sare still continuing.

Suresh Iyer said...

Yes, sad but lack of time due to other priorities takes its toll on my reading. Once you get married you shall know!

Given the way both, England and Germany are playing, I think it will be a boring match.

Exercise again had fallen prey to other priorities for some time. Also, my giving up smoking resulted in an increase in weight, as expected. So, when thing go a little out of control, drastic measures are called for! After having gone though it, I actually think controlled dieting is good for your health as it can cleanse your system.