Search This Blog

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Day 41-2011 : Time Out

It is an interesting fact, but it is true.  In the five and a half years that I lived in Chennai, I did not even once go to the Marina Beach, supposedly the world's second longest beach!  I must have gone to the famous shopping area of T-Nagar maybe a couple of times in that time.  I did not ever go to the Vandalur zoo.  Actually, I lived in Adyar for a couple of those years and in spite of wanting to, never visited the either the Theosophical Society or Kalakshetra!  And by the way, in the almost two years that I lived in Bengaluru, the city of gardens, I did not find the time to visit Lal Baug!  In fact, I could possibly come up with some places in my home town, Ahmedabad, as well, where I haven't been in my lifetime.

I am reminded of all of this because of a chance visit to the Chowpatty in Mumbai recently.  Yes, you probably guessed it right.  I did not go to Chowpatty specifically; I just happened to be in its vicinity.  However a strong urge to stop the car and to go and have a look overtook me.  And there I was, at 11 AM in the morning, savouring the bright Mumbai sunshine on Chowpatty beach.  I like the vast expansiveness of the sea; with the South Mumbai and Walkeshwar backdrops, the landscape was even better.  This experience however triggered a curious train of thought in my mind.  Why did I not do those things which I mention above in the first paragraph?  Why, even after more than a year of coming back to Mumbai, I haven't been to the Chowpatty, or the Gateway of India, or closer home, even the Juhu beach?



@Chowpatty after a long time!

I feel like I have lost out on the opportunity to intimately get to know these places by not being more adventurous.  Yes, driving in our cities these days is adventurous!  I can think of many reasons though, for not having explored these cities more.  And I am sure, I am probably not the only one who feels this way.

First and foremost, I think is the antipathy to crowded public places.  I hate crowds.  I guess T-Nagar is explained now.  Second, and it is related to the first one, is the lack of convenient public transport and the lack of available parking spaces.  I hate to be driving in circles trying to find a parking space.  If I do find one, the need to squeeze the vehicle into a buttonhole turns me off.  If I do indeed get there, the constant fear of a traffic policeman with a greasy palm makes me a nervous wreck!  Third, is time; or the lack of it!  I haven't had the time to think about visiting all these places in the last few years.  Even if I did think about it, I could never get down to actually doing it.  Modern urban life keeps one busy at work and even at home!  On the weekdays, you are trying to get things done at work.  In the weekends, you are trying to get things done at home!  Work, home, spouse, kids, friends (and yes, social networking sites too now) occupy all our available hours. 

Come to think of it, I haven't had a proper vacation since 2006, when myself and Priya went to Goa for our babymoon.  Even that trip came about because we had to attend a friend's wedding there!

However, now that I think I have missed out on these things all these years, I am determined to correct it.  I am going explore some of the interesting public places in the city in the next few months.  And I am definitely determined to plan a family vacation (or maybe even two!) this year!

Take care.

No comments: