Search This Blog

Saturday, November 7, 2009

Gender Psychology

I have often heard that shopping is a great antidote to depression. Splurging money gives one a sense of power which is much stronger than the incumbent depression.

This, I guess, might only be applicable to the fairer sex. In men, it works the other way round. I am acutely aware of this, because I was the victim today.

Over the last few days, since we relocated to Mumbai, Priya (my better half!) has been cribbing non-stop about the need to buy some furniture / storage space. After doing the usual thing of asking her to make a list of everything that she thinks we want, on a piece of paper and then dilly dallying on the list, we ended up at a Furniture Mall late this evening. And guess what, by the time we got out of there, we had bought everything on that list, leaving a huge hole in my pocket, notwithstanding my earlier protests and insistence of buying only a select and necessary few on that list.

I realised, as the evening progressed, Priya became more and more cheerful and I was getting frustrated and ticked off by even small irritants. Probably the intensity of these outbursts was also a result of the pain points of the entire relocation process itself. But that is a completely different topic altogether and deserves a separate blog for itself.

I think the best solution to get rid of this awful feeling would be to catch a good night's sleep, which I shall now do.

Good night and take care of yourself.

2 comments:

Horizon said...

Well , you are not a lone wolf in this process of shopping with your loved ones and especially if they are fairer sex, shouldn't experience point you to the eventual outcome.

Well , i am suprised that you did not expect what would happen when you went to the store.

As for your wife, i guess she did what was necessary and was only fair.lol :)))

Suresh Iyer said...

Yeah right! Once you (cross) pollinate, you will realise how funny this is!