Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2009

Scale Trouble

For any service organisation, the ability to manage scale is a huge advantage. If not managed carefully and adequately, the consequences can be disastrous, resulting in eroding the brand equity, very quickly. This is a no brainer. I am no management guru.

I have been having immense trouble trying to track the status of a high value cheque that I deposited at the ATM of the largest private sector bank in this country, more than 10 days back! I have been told that the only way I can know the fate of my cheque is to know the cheque number. As luck would have it, I did not record the cheque number on the counterfoil of the deposit slip.

I find it quite surprising that a bank of this size and scale does not have a Plan B! Being an operations professional myself, I felt it necessary to comment on the fact that such a huge bank with lakhs of retail clients, does not have adequate processes to track the transactions of its clients. I have been told that multiple agencies internal to the bank like Relationship Management, Service Management and Branch Management are on the job to search this elusive instrument!

I see this as a classic case of too much, too soon. I am sure I am not the only client having trouble with this bank, which has grown its client base as well as the product portfolio so fast. Probably there is little time to worry about servicing those clients & products.

Meanwhile the search still continues.....wish me luck!

4 comments:

Horizon said...

Well Suresh , i agree that's the fate of retail clients .If this was for a big corporate scenario could have been different .
Knowing you and have worked with you for long ,i kind of understand what you expected from the bank as in the so called"service" from them but quite unfortunate that the bank first needs to define what they call service.
It all boils down to what is service for them and what we define what a "service" should be.

Suresh Iyer said...

Agree. Though, to be fair, there could be 10 other delighted customers against one disgruntled one, like me! By the way, I, not the bank, finally traced the cheque; guess where...good old namma Chennai!:-)

Venkysdiary said...

Ok. ok.. I know you have collected the PF& Gratuity...

Suresh Iyer said...

Actually, I should have. But haven't been able to yet, and you know why...:-)