Search This Blog

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 1-2011 : I Resolve To...

As indicated in my last post, my intention was to do one last post in 2010, which would sum up my performance on the resolutions that I made in the beginning of the year and my goals for the year 2011.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find access to the Internet very easily in the last one week and was in fact tied up in meeting and spending time with family and friends and hence this post on the first day of 2011!

If I had to sum up my performance on my personal goals and resolutions last year into a report card, it would be a short one.  I would rate myself as 'Partially Effective'.  Overall, I made a lot of progress on all the items but I feel there is still work to do on each one of them.  Except for keeping the promise to myself of posting to this blog every week, I cannot say that I fully completed any of the others.  Mind you, I did put in a lot of efforts in ensuring that I stick to my resolutions, but I did find myself hard pressed on two fronts:  lack of time and an inconsistent willpower!

Some of the wins for me as I look back on my personal goals for 2010 were:

1) I think I am now a more tolerant person than ever before.  There is still some way to go, but it is really amazing how much your children can change in you!
2) Most parts of the year I did look at situations from a win-win perspective.  And, it surely paid dividends.
3) 'Kick The Butt' was a moderate success.  Something that could be built on this year.
4) I did reach out and connect to more people than ever. Obviously, I discovered social networking and leveraged the Internet big time this year.
5) I did spend more quality time with the family this year.  However according to the better half, not enough yet!
6) I executed most of my investment goals for the year.

Some of the areas where I did not measure up at all were:

1) My reading habit was a big loser.  I did start reading many books but could follow through and complete only a couple of them.
2) My exercise routine was better than some of the previous years, but still not up to the mark.
3) Last but not the least, my better half insists that I include her expectation of better treatment to her in this list as well.  So be it!
 So, on the first day of this new year, what could be my resolutions or goals for the coming year?  Though the temptation is to go for a 'new' and 'different' resolution every year and be as flashy as one can be about it, I think the best thing to do for me this year would be to continue with the same resolutions of last year.  All the more so, because I had some significant successes with my resolutions last year. 

Some of the key ones this year would be:

1) Read more this year.  I almost felt like an illiterate due to the fact that I wasn't reading enough! 
2) A drastic one is to quit alcohol, though I am only a social drinker and restrict myself to beer and the occasional glass of wine. 

Rome was not built in a day.  Making lifestyle changes is a similar story.  I hope I will be in a position next year to report good progress on all of these.  I also hope, that as my well-wishers, you would keep checking on me on some of these goals throughout the year!

Wish you and your loved ones a very happy, healthy and prosperous 2011!

Take care!

3 comments:

Samir said...

Happy New Year Suresh! I'm sure you'll achieve all and more in the new year.

Horizon said...

Hi Suresh,

Those were reasonable achievements for what has been a busy 2010 for you. i thought one of your major success was on leveraging the concept of social networking. Of course a year needs to have its fair share of non achieved goals which would make it a balanced scorecard.

Yes, agree that your reading pace slowed down dramatically,am sure you will pick it up this year.

Good Luck.

Suresh Iyer said...

Thank you Samir! Here's wishing you a very Happy New Year as well!

@Navin : Thanks Navin. I agree with you; need to really pick up on my reading! Hope I am able to do that this year.

Wish you all the very best too!

Cheers!
Suresh