Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 15-2011 : 'Food' for Thought!

Food has never been a big deal for me.  People who know me well would know that I am probably a good example of someone who eats to live rather than the other way around.  In fact, I think I am a very poor eater, very conservative and most of times quite frugal.  In fact for a long long time, I survived on only one meal a day.

And that is exactly why I am writing this post.  I have recently started have the traditional three meals a day.  This is a result of a new year resolution! (what else could it have been!?)  The interesting part though, is that this resolution is not mine, but my better half's!  She has vowed that starting this year she is going to ensure that I have breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday.  Hence I can now be seen lugging a lunch box to office everyday.  I certainly do not want to risk the consequences of being the reason of my wife breaking her resolution!  The same experiment, by the way, has failed a couple times before, in the last few years. 

Not my lunch box!
Having said that, it has definitely been an interesting experience.  And has succeeded so far.  The trick has been the smaller servings. I have been advised (very strictly) that instead of just one meal a day, I should be having many meals (at least 3) with smaller servings. 

The lunch box certainly brings in strange challenges.  The most important one is to be able to remember that I have to eat lunch and produce the empty lunch box at home.  Hence I have now tied up with a couple of colleagues who have kindly agreed to remind me of of the lunch box!

By the way, according to Hindu mythology, the whole issue of 3 meals a day is a result of a goof up caused by Narada Muni.  It is believed that when Brahma made the universe, he asked Narada to go to Earth and convey a very important message to humans: 'Teen baar nahana aur 1 baar khana' (3 showers and 1 meal a day)!  The bumbling Narada got confused while he was on his way to Earth.  He finally conveyed the opposite message: 'Teen baar khana aur 1 baar nahana' (3 meals and 1 shower a day)!  And that is what is being followed till date by us humans living on this planet.  I am not sure if this is all true but am happy that at least someone else, apart from me, also thought that one meal a day was a good idea!

However, right now, it is three meals a day for me.  So everyone who thinks that I have put on some weight in the last few years, please be prepared to see me put on some more this year, notwithstanding my exertions at the gym every morning!

Take care!

5 comments:

Dhawal Jagushte said...

Hope you people stick to the resolution,and let me remind you that it is a big pain for the wifes as well to make three different meals at one time.

Suresh Iyer said...

Indeed Dhawal. Please blame it on Narada Muni! :-)) I certainly hope I can keep this going.

Dhawal Jagushte said...

We are in the same boat so lets hope for the best

Samir said...

Suresh, actually it was Nandi that screwed up. :) The humans conveyed the question to Lord Shiva who said: shower thrice, eat once. Nandi was sent to convey the message and got it upside down.

When Shiva found out about Nandi's mistake, he sent Nandi down to till the soil for the humans who were going to now need lots more food.

Suresh Iyer said...

Eat well, Dhawal!

@Samir : My version of the mythological tales still has Narada Muni being responsible for the goof up! However, am off to Ahmedabad tomorrow, so will double check my facts with some of the elders. :-))

Cheers!
Suresh